Brushing and flossing are two techniques that are extremely important and beneficial. However, it’s vital that you brush and floss properly. If you aren’t sure how to brush and floss correctly, our Jordan Landing Smiles team is happy to help you! Here are the steps that will help you take proper care of your smile:
How to brush:
1. Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gumline.
2. Use just enough pressure to feel the bristles against your gums and teeth. Make sure not to push too hard that you’re squishing the bristles.
3. Brush the outside, inside, and top of each tooth. Use short, circular strokes with your scrubbing motion. Gently brush along the gumline as well.
4. When brushing the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make up-and-down motions with the front of the brush.
5. Brush your teeth for a solid two minutes.
6. When the time is up and you have completed your cleaning job, remember to brush your tongue.
How to floss:
1. Use 18 inches of floss and wrap most of it around the middle finger on one of your hands. Then, wrap the rest around the middle finger of your other hand. This will help you have the control you need.
2. Have about 1 inch of floss between your fingers and gently glide that section through the crevices of your smile. Use a gentle sawing motion as you do so.
3. When you reach the gumline, curve the floss into a C and scrape it against your tooth.
4. Scrape the sides of each tooth and don’t forget to clean between the back molars.
5. Repeat this process for each tooth and make sure to be gentle along the gumline. If you haven’t brushed in awhile, your gums might feel sore or tender. This is normal and it should go away the more you floss.
If you have any questions or if you need additional help with oral hygiene in West Jordan, UT, our dentist, Dr. Powell, is more than happy to help you if you just call West Jordan Dental Office today!