Periodontal disease, commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so common in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated at Jordan Landing Smiles in West Jordan.
Here are five important things about gum disease that you should know:
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you aren’t noticing any of these symptoms, it’s important to have regular checkups at Jordan Landing Smiles in West Jordan. In addition to gum disease treatment we offer complete general dentistry services.
Call for an appointment today at West Jordan Dental Office!